Thursday, October 3, 2013

Tastes Like Autumn!

Alright, so lately I made some cookies. Actually, they were really yummy cookies, and I posted a few photos on facebook. I’ve had a few people asking about a recipe, so I thought I would share. If you’re interested in the original, I found it on this fantastic blog, here.



She says the yield it about three dozen, but I think I managed about two. However, if you multiply the recipe by five, as I did the other day, you end up with a plethora of cookies. Possibly too many (yes, I said there was such a thing as too many cookies). But I needed to use my homemade pumpkin puree before it went bad, and these were just too good to resist making more.
Also, these cookies are frosted pumpkin-spice cookies
I’d suggest pre-heating your oven, of course. The recommended temperature is 350 degrees Fahrenheit.



Ingredients for cookies
  • ·         2 ½ cups all-purpose flour (I used whole wheat)
  • ·         1 tsp baking powder
  • ·         1 tsp baking soda
  • ·         2 tsp cinnamon
  • ·         ½ tsp nutmeg
  • ·         ½ tsp cloves
  • ·         ½ tsp salt
  • ·         ½ cup of butter, softened
  • ·         1 ½ cups of sugar (I didn’t actually use this much and they turned out fine)
  • ·         1 cup pumpkin puree
  • ·         1 egg
  • ·         1 tsp vanilla extract


Ingredients for Icing (Oh yes, these are chai-frosted!)
  • ·         2 cups of icing sugar (I’m still trying to work up the courage to halve this and substitute corn starch; the frosting can be quite sweet. This is a good deterrent from eating too many though!)
  • ·         3 tbsp milk
  • ·         1 tbsp melted butter
  • ·         1 tsp vanilla extract
  • ·         1 chai tea bag

Combine your dry ingredients in one bowl, and your wet ingredients in another (creaming your butter and sugar, and then adding your egg, vanilla, and pumpkin after). Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until well-combined.
My batter turned out sticky, so before I popped my cookies onto my baking sheets, I greased them fully. The blog’s author recommends using parchment paper, which is also an excellent option.  Bake the cookies for 15-20 minutes, switching racks about halfway through. When you remove your cookies from the cookie sheets, make sure they have an opportunity to fully cool before they are frosted.
To make the frosting melt your butter and milk together in a sauce pan, heating fully (seriously; if you don’t heat them in a sauce pan, the frosting doesn’t thicken properly. Weird, right?). Steep the chai tea bag in the liquid for 5-7 minutes, just as you would if you were making a cuppa, and then… Well, you could reuse it, I guess, but I put mine in the compost. Put your new solution into your icing sugar and vanilla, beat until smooth, and frost your cookies as desired.



Seriously, these cookies were pretty delicious. I mean, they disappeared from my house pretty quickly, and I haven’t had any complaints from anyone yet!

Do any of you have a holiday favourite? What about a favourite sweet to make during the fall; I’d love to try some new recipes!
~*~ Follow Your Dreams ~*~

L.C. 

No comments:

Post a Comment