Sunday, March 20, 2011

Classics, Classical, and Tea

It's that time again.. Sunday night, and I've been studying and drinking copious amounts of tea (I'm on my third cup in about 2 hours, again). This means that a blog is probably in order, and that tonight, it's actually going to happen. I thought of giving this blog a point and a distinct point, then I realized that sort of defeated the purpose. However, there are a few things that happened this week that I though were worth mentioning.

First of all, I'm no longer in 'Archaeology'. My class is now titled 'History of Ancient Muggle Studies'. Now this wasn't an entirely random occurrence. I went to class one day, sat down and just kinda glanced around. The guy down the row settled into his seat (and because I'm a creeper(?) the movement attracted my eye) and began pulling out his stuff. First he pulled out a notebook, normal. Then he pulled out a quill. Nothing fancy, just a straight quill, slight feather, with a silver nib. This isn't so normal - most people use a ballpoint pen, laptop or pencil. I've seen fountain pens used, but not often. So that caught my eye. Especially when he pulled out a small ink bottle and set these up totally seriously like normal. So, I thought this was awesome and texted a friend. Her reply to this all was to ask if this occurred in DADA and when I said no she renamed my class (so that it fit more into the Hogwarts curriculum). I'm now taking 'History of Ancient Muggle Studies.' I'm stoked.

The second thing I wanted to mention isn't quite as awesome, but it's still there. I've renamed 'Twilight' as 'Gloaming'. I've come across this word a few times while reading various Victorian works (War of the Worlds and Dorian Gray in particular), and having looked it up in the glossaries it is defined simply as 'twilight'. To me this world is slightly more depressing sounding and not quite as magical as the word 'twilight', and thus I've decided that I'm going to use it in reference to the book series. Don't get me wrong, I read Twilight, and at the time that I read it I enjoyed it - it was simple to read and slightly entertaining. But as a stickler for 'good' or 'passable' English in novels (which you can't tell in these, but they're not published works!) and somewhat more normal fantastic characters (glittery vampires?! no. I'm sorry, but Dracula wasn't glittery) I have to say I'm a bit bothered by the books. Not really the books themselves actually, but the hype around them - Team Jacob or Team Edward? No thanks, I'm sticking with Harry Potter.... But yeah, that was my second 'big thing' to mention. Not in the least bit epic, but rather entertaining for me. Especially since I really like the word 'gloaming' now. :)

I suppose while I'm telling you about my week I could mention quotes? Because there were a few entertaining ones said this week (both by professors!). My Novels professor was referring a book to another girl in the class because she had mentioned an interest in a particular subject. He had just received a book on said subject and was giving it to her to read. In doing so he admitted that he had not yet read the book and said it "might be a little bit like a Mars Bar - enjoyable to eat but with little additional value." I think this is one of my favourite random quotes from a professor.

However, it's rivaled by my Medieval and Renaissance Scottish Literature prof randomly saying that some one was "going to fly like a lead zeppelin... Straight down." Now, here I might argue in the context of music. If you flew like a Led Zeppelin, you'd be soarin'. They had great hits and are still listened to widely today (by myself included). However, the pun on words here was awesomely fun in context, and got a snicker out of me. I think I may have been one of the few who caught this gem though.. Everyone else looked a little confused while the professor was grinning.

So yeah, that's my week in a nutshell and quotes - went to classes, did work, saw a movie (Red Riding Hood - so not what I was wanting it to be. So not worth seeing again. Ever.), went to work, got some awesome new porcelain plates from my Grandma (okay so they're not 'new' they were hers and she no longer wanted them, but they're wicked and have fable scenes on them), did research and homework and drank far too much tea. Tea is wonderful, and I think I've been nearly hooked up to a tea IV all week. It's been magnificent. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment