Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The time has come

"'The time has come,' the walrus said, 'to talk of many things'" (Lewis Carroll), and that's exactly what I'm about to set out to do. I'm not sure exactly how much I'm going to say, but we'll see, shall we? I could start at the verrrry beginning and tell you about when I was born, and how big I was and all that, but it wouldn't be very interesting and is certainly not relevant at the moment. All you really need to know is that I grew up (and still reside) on an island somewhere in Canada, and that I love it here. Also, I live with my parents because I'm a full time student at a University not far away, and I'm poor. But I'm debt free, so I get kudos for that! :)

Annnywwaaay, I thought I'd originally document my schooling experience, but that got shot seeing as I'm in my third year of University and am not recapping those last few years. They were long and not really remarkable, so they don't warrant much comment. To sum it up though, I took 2 years of a BSc, hated it, and am now a 3rd year student in a BA and loving it. Being in Canada, you'd think I'd be doing a bunch of newer English courses and all that, yes? Well I'm not. One of my favourite courses this term is "Medieval and Renaissance Scottish Literature" and I really wish my University offered Gaelic because I think it would be fascinating and really fun to have. I also realize that I would probably have the strangest accent - even my French accent is strange (and NO, I don't speak fluent French. I only have my Grade 11, because French 12 was horrible at my highschool). When I told my mother I wanted to learn Gaelic, she replied with "Oh, that's nice. My grandfather spoke Gaelic with my grandmother. So did Art." Well, that helps me a lot, right? Nope, because they've been gone for a while. Actually, I never got a chance to meet them (may they Rest in Peace), and so knowing that they spoke a dying language that I want to learn and am unable to learn without travelling or extensive internet searches is slightly frustrating. However, I digress.

I'm also taking a bunch of courses on the Novel currently, but the most recent Novel I'm studying (in 4 of the Novel courses I'm taking) is George Orwell's War of the Worlds. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled with most of my readings (well, maybe not the political novels from the 18th Century), but I'm just pointing out - I'm steeped in history. Mainly history centered around the UK. Which may explain my desire to go there. It probably doesn't though, because really, I want to travel and at this point I'm not terribly picky as to where. My sister's going on a mission to Honduras, and I'd be okay with that. Even across the country would be alright, but I think that's just the end of term buzz setting in. I can't wait for summer!

That's another thing - summer. 4 months of freedom, right? Nope! Student=poor=work all summer. Fun? Well, mostly sometimes? I work with my best friend, so that's awesome. I also work with the public, so that's not quite as awesome. Repeatedly asking how people's days are going gets a bit old after the first.... hour or four. Other than that, I guess my job's okay. although, I am trying to find a new one. But that's because working 4 years in a grocery store is just getting old and I need to try something new; maybe something that pertains to my course of study.

Looks like I've rambled on a bit though. I came into this with no idea of what to type, and I'm leaving it with no real idea of what I've typed. I guess it's a general summary of my life and self, but it probably isn't really. I'll look back on it one day and wonder what the heck I was thinking, I'm fairly certain. But that doesn't really matter, because it's an introductory blog. One that doesn't matter too much, unless people decide that it's the only one they're going to read. If that's the case, well, ta. Enjoy yourselves, eh? (I had to sneak it in there. So stereotypical, I know. But it works. Now to work skookum in somewhere too... hmmm...). If you're going to stick with me, I wish you the best of luck. I'm random and whimsical (if this wasn't an example), and I'm realllly bad at staying on topic (wasn't I saying goodbye when I started this paragraph?), but I can't do it all. If you think this is bad, when I'm moderating what I say, you should meet me in person. Promise I say random things! But I guess it's time to go. Time to finish up some Scots Lit reading and pour my third cup of tea for the night :)

No comments:

Post a Comment