Monday, April 4, 2011

Common courtesy

It's out there somewhere, right? Is it not common courtesy to open/hold open the door for the person behind you who has their arms full? Because I've noticed lately that this just isn't happening as much any more (speaking as the person that quite often has their arms full of books and is unable to open doors without dropping things). I understand that people get busy and that things are often too hectic for them to stop for minutes at a time and help everyone (although it doesn't hurt to do this occasionally!!), but holding the door open for a fraction of a second while I wedge my shoulder into it so that I can proceed isn't too hard, is it?

But alas, apparently for some it is. I had 3 books, an umbrella, a binder, and a coffee cup in my arms the other day (as well as a pack on my back) and I wanted to return the books to the library. I got to the drop slots just a few seconds after another person, and instead of just holding the slot open so that I could slip my books in too (s)he let the slot fall shut just as I got there, clearly struggling to get everything in my arms sorted out. Really? Would it have been so difficult to hold it open with one finger for a second more while I slipped my books in? Oh well, after putting my coffee (which was actually tea!), and binder on the ground and balancing my umbrella on my shoulder I managed to get my books in the slot, no thanks to you.

I realize that this might seem and sound like a selfish excuse, but there are more. I watched a woman with 2 small children trying to open a door while the baby in her arms pulled at one arm and the small child holding her hand tugged at her other arm, and the man behind her just stood there impatiently waiting to get in (I was across the road and unable to help). Would it have been so difficult for him to offer to grab the door for her? It doesn't matter age, sex, gender, skin tone, ethnicity, etc. We should be trying to help each other achieve common goals like opening doors and such, shouldn't we?

It's like chivalry but with less knights and castles and more normal, everyday people. It is also regardless of gender, race, etc. (And should be in effect in all places - common courtesy: I probably don't want to hear the music out of your headphones from 8 feet away!!) You'd think it's simple, but apparently it's not. Chivalry really is dead, isn't it? But what about common courtesy? Are we going to kill that too?

Let me know what you think (if there's anyone out there that actually read this, haha!). Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment