Monday, April 11, 2011

Imagination (also known as the reason I have trouble studying?)

My grandma always told me when I was little that "boredom is simply a lack of imagination" and being the little kid that I was, I never actually understood what she meant. I wasn't often bored as a kid because I had school and friends, books, dance, skating, my sister to deal with, and imaginary worlds to dream up and participate in both myself and with my friends. When I repeat this to myself as I get older, I for sure know what it means, and I can appreciate just how much I should take these words to heart. We should all take words like this to heart.



I'm not saying we should all go around thinking about unicorns, palaces, space fights and royalty like I used to, but we should use our imaginations in a multitude of ways. I like to think "Dream, believe, and achieve", and I feel like this fits in with imagination really well. If we all envisioned (or imagined) a peaceful world, higher efficiency transportation, environmentally stable and friendly products, etc. and found ways to realize these imaginings, wouldn't the world be in a better place? I'm not trying to take away from the importance of using imagination as a way of escaping problems and reality because I think this is one of the intended applications of imagination, but I'm trying to bring out some creativity; it's not always going to be someone out there telling us what to do, one day we're going to be in charge, and we'll have to have ideas.

It's imagination that we use to come up with stories and movies, and imagination that leads us to some of our goals. Sure, there's probably someone out there directing how we go or what we strive for, but ultimately it's up to us - We are the future, and we are the dreamers.

(My imagination is also most of the reason I have a hard time studying - like now. I can read something, start thinking about it, and - boom - my imagination takes hold and elaborates and all of a sudden I'm daydreaming. Like now. Ah, the heck with it, I'm going to get another cup of tea and try to concentrate on my Archaeology study stuff. Exam tomorrow!!)

I'll catcha lata!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment