Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Potter

Well, with a title like that I could be writing about several things, couldn't I? I could be talking about the potters you refer to when you're talking about the people that make pots (ceramics maybe?); I may be mentioning the wonderful creator of Peter Rabbit, Miss Beatrix Potter; or, I may simply be talking about the best book series out there: Harry Potter. Which I am.

Yupp, you've caught me: I'm a Harry Potter fan. I've read all of the books, seen all of the currently released movies, and also own Quidditch Through the Ages and Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, which were rather enjoyable to read through. However, let's not go all crazy on this- Harry Potter is still only a book series and is not actually truth; but bloody hell, if it were real I'd certainly prefer to be a witch. I'm not going to give you a run-down on the books because if you haven't already read them you most certainly should. But I'll tell you a little big about my Harry Potter experiences, if you'd like (none of which are overtly thrilling, but I rather enjoy them!)

So the first book, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, was published in 1997 (so I was about 7 when it came out), and shortly after this I found it on the shelves of the school library. It took me a while to slog through, but after reading it I was hooked. When it came time in the 6th grade (years later) to do a book report on it, I was set. For the first time in school, people were actually seeking me out to be in their groups for work. This wasn't because I was popular but because I had read the book and knew the material; however, I was elated and will always fondly remember the first book and some of the things that came with it. Heck, I can still remember that it was raining most of the time I was reading the book (it rains a lot here)!

The second book, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, I don't have as many pleasant memories about, but I most certainly do remember when we went as a family to see the movie! My little sister doesn't like spiders and was about 9 when the movie hit theaters, but we went to see it anyways. We were sitting in a sold-out theater with my sister and I between my parents, Bug beside mom, and Aragog and co. became heartily present. Well, as soon as Aragog appeared on screen that was it! Bug shrieked and jumped, landing in mom's lap (this also happened later on when the Basilisk was introduced - she's a mite jumpy, but I love her!). I'm never going to forget how terrified she was, and though I feel bad for her, I can't help but think back on it an laugh.

Prisoner of Azkaban doesn't bring forward many memories about reading or seeing the movie that aren't related to the plot, but let me just say: I really liked this one, and the Dementors are freakin' gross. Goblet of Fire doesn't inspire too many memories either, except that at ten I read the entire thing in less than a week the first time, and about 3 or 5 days the second (I skimmed more the second time it would seem.). I also received GoF for my birthday, so that was awesome.

Order of the Phoenix took me about a week to read the first time as well, but I heartily enjoyed it; I spent a whole week out in the summer sunshine, hiding in the shade and languishing in the sun alternately, reading. Who wouldn't have enjoyed themselves?! Then out came Half Blood Prince, and that took about 2(?) days to read, and I enjoyed it. Deathly Hallows though is where my nerdiness comes out: I bought it at Costco while we were camping and it was pouring rain, and I read it in a night. Yeah. I stayed up all night reading Harry Potter on a family vacation, and I loved it.

Actually, I could have finished most of the later books in day if I hadn't had to be responsible and like, go to work the next day or something silly (or skating. I used to skate in the summer and have to be up early; I was cool, eh?); those were the days: books could be read for hours, and there was sunshine. Right now I'm sitting in my room after a day in which it was sunny, rained, and freakin' HAILED. The weather has been nuts, and I can't wait until summer. But, I'm off. Gunna finish off a Harry Potter Fanfic I've been reading, and head to bed. Work at noon shall be... Fun...

Goodnight, internet!

No comments:

Post a Comment