Saturday, April 30, 2011

Zippers

I was thinking about what to write today and I could have gone with something like Zelda (which I actually played at a friend's place when I was little on what N64 because we didn't have a game console at home), but I don't know much about the game and I'm not feeling particularly interested in gaming tonight. Instead, I think I'm going to talk about two things: The zipper and the creation that is the Zizzer-Zazzer-Zuzz (and its amazing creator).

So, zippers.. We use them everyday, don't we? I know for a fact I've worn 4 different zippering articles of clothing today: two pairs of pants (work pants and jeans), a jacket, and a hoodie. These awesome little toothed devices pull sides of fabric together, and I've always heard that they were invented by a Canadian. However, I've had a hard time finding evidence for this online, so I'm going to leave it as a question for anyone who may care to answer: Who actually invented the zipper as we now know it, and where are you finding this information? As an English person I feel like I should be able to find this stuff, but I just caaaaan't tonight. It may be the 8.5 hours of work and then hockey I just watched (Canucks lost. Again.), or I may just be dumb tonight, but I'm unable to find this stuff. Anyways, zippers...

They're wonderful! and we use them in a lot of different ways, including that stereotypical nerdy joke that we all hear in highschool Biology that helps us remember something from the course (if you don't know this joke, really? How've you not heard it). It was originally presented to me in 12th grade as a reallly horrible pick-up line, but I've heard a multitude of variations. Basically though, it's "Hi, I'm DNA helicase and I'd like to unzip your genes". But zippers aren't used only in these ways. Did you know that the first airtight zippers were created by NASA for pressure-suits, and were later adapted and used for space suits and (now) wet/dry suits in swimming?

Zippers are produced in the vast majority by the Japanese company YKK now, and with the 'double zip' (you know, the zipper that opens from the top and bottom that is often included in newer jackets and stuff) they're appearing all over the place. Disappearing are buckles and buttons, emerging are zippers. Actually, the zipper is probably the most widely used fastening device in the world today. Scary.

Anyways, I promised to talk about the Zizzer-Zazzer-Zuzz today too, and basically what I wanted to do was leave you with something fun. Being the English-y person that I am, I thought I'd leave you with a 'Z' that was fun and meant a bit to me, and because the Zizzer-Zazzer-Zuzz is a Seuss creation, it's always going to mean something to me. I was brought up on Seuss's books; some of the first books I ever read on my own were his, and Are You My Mother will always be a super cute favourite. I'd also, however, like to point out that though his books were fun and cute and educational, they weren't always over-the-top educational; they were a good way to teach children to read and write (remember, things that rhyme will stick in our minds for far more time, and a rhythm is always helpful too!), but they were definitely filled with impractical things, such as the Zizzer-Zazzer-Zuzz. He's not going to appear on a spelling test any day soon, but he sure is a good way to teach children to say and write out their 'z's. Education and fun-always a good thing to put hand-in-hand!

So yeah, this has been my month (minus Sundays) in blogs. I may do something like this again, we shall see. However, if I do maybe next time I'll do it with more of a theme in mind. I'm off to watch some Doctor Who and go to bed though now.. I've got to be up at 6:30 tomorrow morning to go to work *gags*. I won't say goodbye forever though, as I can pretty much guarantee that I'll be back at some point in time. Ciao, it has been a slice!

No comments:

Post a Comment