Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Voices

So, I had a difficult time choosing a topic to write about again; 'V' is such a difficult letter for me. I could write about my personal victories, but that just gets far to personal and emotional and all that (plus, what I consider a victory is way different from what some others may consider a victory); I could write about old friendships etc, which this letter of the alphabet bring to mind, but that could get messy and possibly vindictive; I was considering writing about VISI (Vancouver Island Skate International) which used to be one of my favourite competitions, but that's just going to bring up skating memories and such, and I don't feel like doing that tonight. No, tonight I'm going to talk about voices.

Not the voices in my head (although I will acknowledge their existence; they get upset when I don't), but the variety of voices I actually use. You see, I have my collection of work voices, school voices, speaking with children voices, and acting adult voices. Then I have my 'normal' voice and my singing voices; it would appear that I use a large variety of voices. Oops.



So I thought up this topic at work when I realized that in the last 5 customers my voice/tone had changed 5 times.. It started rather sweet with a really sweet elderly couple that came through my till; they're regulars, and they always have nice things to say and encouragement to offer, so I like them. I used my sweet voice for them, and chatted. Then things began to pick up and my half harried, but still pleasant voice came out. With this voice, you can tell I'm slightly distracted and am talking to you and listening/responding, but it's also clear that I'm paying a great deal of attention to my work as well. The third voice that I used with the third customer was a pleasant voice, and then I noticed the small child she had with her, and my talking to children voice came out, which is a bit higher than normal, and I use the words "buddy" and "sweetie" more. My fourth voice is the one that takes the cake.

I have this voice that I reserve for "problem customers"; you know, the ones that argue with you about prices, are never satisfied with what you've done, and say that they'll never come back, but 3 days later they come through your till again and are all smiles. Oh yeah, they get their own voice (and smile). Because of performance I've got this smile that I can basically pull out of my pocket that makes it appear that I'm genuinely having the best time. With a few tweaks this smile can be tailored to make it look like I really care what is being said or that I'm sympathetic. Also with this tweaked smile comes my 'compassionate' voice when really I may want to smack the person I'm talking to. Those of you who've seen this will know what I'm talking about; it's not until my eyes look like they're turning black and my smile takes of a slightly vicious appearance that you've got to be careful. Anyways, got rid of my "problem customer" and then had a "young gallant" and his friend through my till.


 He was nice and pleasant, and it was weird.. He asked how I was, made small talk, and when he went to give me his money he like, made a small bow over my hand. And then when I gave his change back he bowed in acceptance.. But I'm talking about voices, and by this time things had calmed down a little bit so I was using my relieved/happy/work voice. You know, the one where it sounds like I'm happy about everything and if I'm not careful I can be accused to flirting. However, I'm pretty careful with this voice at work because a). most of our customers are far too old for me, b). if they're not too old they're either friends of mine, people I went to school with, friends of my sister, or are decidedly unsuitable, and c). I'm not interested in meeting someone while pushing their groceries at this moment. Finally I got rid of them, competed my night, and ended up here (again).

And now I'm munching slowly on a piece of home-made (by myself even) citrus cheesecake, talking to Ray-Ray and another friend, listening to the hockey game (Go Canucks!), and debating making tea. But really, that's all I've got to say tonight; Talk atcha tomorrow (hopefully)! :)

1 comment:

  1. I have many voices similar to yours, but there are also my talking-on-the-phone voices. My talking on the phone at work voice is about an octave higher than any of my other voices, and has been confused many many times for a recording, even the time this weekend when after I finished with "this is Melissa, how can I help you" and the caller said "... am I talking to a machine?"

    ReplyDelete