Monday, April 25, 2011

University

So, this topic was actually suggested to me; the first thing to my mind was umbrellas, and I have had bad experiences and luck with those, so I decided that that topic wasn't appropriate. When I asked my mother what to write about she suggested 'underwear' and I decided that could get a little too risqué; Ray-Ray suggested unicorns, and I was very sorely tempted. But you know, it's sad. I didn't even think to talk about Universities, and I'm AT University. Well, was. I've just finished off another term, and now I'm (as you really should know by now) on SUMMER VACATION! (which means I'm picking up as many hours as possible at work and applying for additional jobs). 



But hey, University - I love it. You know, it's actually not all that different from my high school as I expected it to be (probably because I went to a "self-directed high school" which is a nice way of saying that I could get away with skipping so long as I did my work. Basically. Not that I ever actually did this; check my attendance record :P *sweet smile*); I go to class, go do some work, hang out, and hand stuff in. Oh, and I have awesome, random discussions and meet incredible people!

Not that my high school friends aren't awesome, but the people I've met at University are awesome as well; I think it's a novelty thing, and the fact that I see them more than I see my friends from high school. However, my besties are high school friends :). I'm off track again though, aren't I? Yup. So, University and conversations, etc. Well, because of the upcoming election (Yay! I get to participate in democratic activities again.. Boo! We had to have ANOTHER election this quickly) I've had political debates at school, and have actually participated in political discussions and understood what was going on. This has never happened before, but it may have something to do with the fact that the first discussion I participated was prompted by this video. However, it's not just that; I've met people with similar interests to mine, spoken many words with other English majors, and have thoroughly enjoyed all of it. 

Now, as many of you know (or not), I started as a Biology major. BIG MISTAKE. I know some people really love it, but it turns out it just wasn't for me. Now, I'm nearly done my English major and I'm regretting those lost 2 years; I could have taken so many amazing classes! My University offers Latin and ASL and Greek and Roman Studies and Germanic Studies and.. I could go on, but you get the ideas: I didn't take the courses that now sound to absolutely thrilling, and I'm sad. Maybe I'll come back to University as a senior, I hear it's free... 

I know there are a lot of people out there who think that University is all about the social life, but with a schedule like mine, it can't be. I had the Breakfast Club (no, not the movie) and a few others that I hung out with, or members of the Breakfast Club at different times of day, and I had my friends from home and that was about it; that's all there was time for with 6 courses and a part-time job (not to mention commuting/napping, sleeping, eating, the gym, and occasionally cooking dinner and going to skating 2 times a week... holy carp, I sound like a drone >.<). 

However, I thoroughly love my University life. It's liberating and educational and honestly, even though I feel like I spend 90% of my time studying/working and 100% of my time sleep deprived, I love it. I love the people I know, I love my campus, I love my studies, and I even find myself loving some of the work. Heck, I picked up a couple late Victorian novels to read over the summer because I want to, not because I have to. That's how much I'm enjoying this stuff!

And so, before I go do something else (alright, I'll admit it: it has taken me almost an hour to write this much because of youtube, convos on MSN and bubbles, so really this has been the 'something else') I'd just like to encourage everyone to find something that they love to study, sign up for University, and meet amazing people. Because I have, and I certainly love them all (also, I'm going to miss them this summer and the years coming, for those that are leaving)! Tons of love all, I'm off to find some tea, think about what courses I want to take next September (Germanic Studies courses, English, maybe some Greek Mythology...), talk with Ray-Ray, and blow more bubbles in mah bedroom! :)

Ta!

No comments:

Post a Comment